Director of Construction
Our client is a developer and manager of urban and suburban-urban rental apartments and penthouses has approximately 10,000 apartments in 30 apartment communities, $2 billion in real estate assets and more than $500 million currently under development or construction in North America. The company has offices in Detroit, Chicago and Toronto and has properties located throughout the cities of Chicago, Cincinnati, Detroit, Kansas City, Louisville, Pittsburgh and St. Louis.
The company has immersed itself in a design driven approach to urban and suburban-urban mid-rise and high-rise, mixed-use development with the hospitality, service and resort-class amenities of the world’s best five-star hotels. Their communities feature a wide range of floor plans, carefully curated décor and exclusively manufactured cabinetry, furniture and fixtures, boutique lobbies and lounge areas, expansive outdoor spaces and sky parks, the latest life-driven technologies and a highly purposeful approach to green and wellness. The company supports dozens of local charities and matches every application and lease administration fee three to one, supporting advocacy, education, the preservation and re-population of endangered wildlife globally and will donate between $500,000 and $1 million to such causes this year.
The ideal candidate:
- Will have experience in the urban residential area managing Residential projects in the $30M plus range.
- Career has had a widening scope that demonstrates knowledge and experience in development and construction, although deeper experience in construction is helpful
- Most likely currently in a second-in-command role, ready for the next step and is hungry to increase scope and undertake development responsibility
- Share a vision to succeed in setting the company apart from their competitors and exhibits a continuous improvement mindset
- Acts fairly and ethically in every aspect of our business and knows how to reach common goals
Scope of the Role:
The Director of Construction is an addition to the existing Real Estate team. The group currently has several projects in all phases of development and construction. This position will be responsible for overseeing two to three projects, each project will be in different phases from concept to design to construction. Domestic travel of two to three days a week to these projects to collaborate with the appropriate stakeholders is necessary. This role is a key member of the Real Estate Development and Construction team based in Chicago, IL. The primary responsibility of this role is to oversee their assigned projects through all project management phases (development through construction), including acquisition, planning, design, bidding, permitting, construction management and close-out, which specifically comprises of the bid process, including negotiating and awarding contracts, determining and monitoring construction schedules, budgets and cash flow. The company’s projects are located throughout the Midwest and East Coast regions in urban locations. This position plays a critical role in collaborating and reaching consensus with a diverse group of internal and external stakeholders, at all levels of the organization.
- Manages the General Contractors to ensure project team performance and compliance with contractual requirements, while doing so, identifies and addresses areas of concern to the Senior Vice President for potential liabilities and risk (fee, reputation, errors and omissions, etc.)
- Identifies and communicates opportunities and challenges that impact financial results, while constantly pursuing cost effective alternatives to improve performance while adhering to brand standards
- Maintains brand integrity by ensuring that the products and services offered, to tenants and residents, are consistent with the company’s brand proposition and promise
- Leads and chairs project meetings by ensuring transparent communication of projects’ status, financial reporting is accurate and complete and meetings are held regularly with follow-up action items, while demonstrating a professional and executive presence
- Participates in the continuous improvement of internal and external service delivery processes and leads specific initiatives within an area of continuous improvement
- Makes independent judgments related to operating procedures impacting assigned projects, serves as a point of escalation for any issue, risk or concern and follow-up and resolves disputes between contractors, subcontractors and clients
- Leads high-performing teams through effective recruitment, coaching, mentoring and development efforts, regularly conducts staff meetings and holds one-on-one conversations to solicit feedback from the team, displays integrity by ensuring processes, procedures and practices, affecting the team, are completed in a timely manner
- Stays abreast of technology trends by participating in industry organizations, as a speaker or panel member at conferences or chapter meetings, etc.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Ability to travel to assigned regional locations
- Has a deep working knowledge of accounting and financial reporting, budgeting, scheduling and processes.
- Demonstrates knowledge of change orders, managing draw processes, analyzing and controlling hard costs and formulating proformas
- Ability to demonstrate methodical problem-solving skills, by using an analytical perspective that includes industry knowledge and experience, resulting in sound judgement and final decision-making within tight timelines in a fast-paced environment
- Able to communicate at a professional and educated level of English, verbally and written communication, with a sense of urgency when needed by being responsive and accountable to the issue at hand, ensuring all relevant stakeholders are informed and/or responded to, able to maintain confidentiality
- Proficient with applicable software packages including, but not limited to, MS Project, Office, Visio, and CAD
- Minimum of ten (10) years in progressive leadership roles managing design and construction of multiple projects across a broad geography
- Bachelor’s degree required from an accredited institution in Architecture, Engineering, Construction Management or Project Management preferred
- Previous background experience, within multi-family housing, commercial or hospitality industries, for upscale product or luxury segment
- PMP Certification, LEED Accreditation, or other specialty accreditation is an asset
This position offers an attractive base salary, that is wide open for the right candidate, along with a well-defined equity stake, bonus arrangement and generous benefits.
If you are interested, please email me a copy of your resume and I will reciprocate with a more detailed job and company description. Anything that you send to me will remain in the strictest of confidence.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.