Company and Candidate Profile Managing Director US Operations Executive Search
Our client has been active in the heavy civil construction industry since 1917. Family owned and held in 4th generation our client has grown from a local road building company founded in central Europe, to a heavy civil infrastructure general contractor with 2,500 employees spread across offices and projects worldwide.
Since 2016, the company has expanded into the U.S. to deliver our highly specialized and self-developed infrastructure rehabilitation solutions to the U.S. market: Ultra-High-Performance Concrete Solutions, Dense Asphalt Concrete Linings-Systems, as well as Hydro demolition and High-Pressure Water jetting for Concrete Rehabilitation.
In 2017, our client was awarded two Hydro demolition and UHPC-Overlay paving subcontracts for a total of 370,000 square feet in New York and Iowa. A combination of experience, superior technology, paired with the required know-how and right people to deliver the projects, on time, budget and to exceed our clients’ expectations were deciding factors.
US forecast for 2019: *15-20 M. USD
President CEO of Parent Company in Switzerland/US Board of Directors
The Managing Director US Operations is responsible for acquiring, overseeing and directing all construction projects and their progress from start-up to build-up in a safe, timely and cost-effective and profitable manner.
This role includes:
- Management and growth of a start-up company / green-field strategy for US Operations of a Swiss based international heavy civil construction company.
It also entails budgeting, organization, implementation, scheduling of the projects, and overseeing and staffing all onsite and offsite projects to monitor DOT/OSHA compliance with building and safety regulations. With their leadership skills and enthusiasm, they will lead and inspires their teams to plan, manage and execute construction projects from conception to profitable completion.
The Managing Director US Operations reports to the CEO and the US BOD and will provides strategic direction and oversight for all operational areas that directly link to the UHPC organizational strategies. This role creates value in the business through the coordinated development of estimating, operations/project management, project controls, equipment management, safety and business development. The preferred management style is one of nurturing an environment of “collaboration” (with existing senior leaders, Board members and Employees), creating an alignment of interests, goals and accountability.
The Managing Director will create and oversee a culture of safety and positive operations for the company. They will drive strategic and operational plans for the company while monitoring and analyzing future trends in the industry. They will validate, align and manage the strategic planning process for their operational divisions and will support business development and project pursuits.
The Managing Director will maintain positive financial performance for the UHPC business segment and monitor cost analysis activities on a routine basis. This role is responsible for the overall profit/loss of the UHPC operational units. They will actively participate as a member of the Executive Team during strategic planning and review sessions as well.
- Lead the operations support division including safety, estimating, project controls, equipment management and business development.
- Develop and execute a safety strategy and culture across the company.
- Ensure positive financial performance within the operational divisions, provide accurate projections and manage group overhead costs.
- Communicate internal corporate strategies, key initiatives, culture history and other relevant information to operational divisions.
- Initiate and implement positive change in the organization based on operational trends and forecasts.
- Oversee all areas of successful operations.
- Serve as the “Face of the Market” by acting as a liaison for trade unions, participating in negotiations and nurturing all external operational relationships.
- Remain current with regional and industry trends.
- Collaborate with departments, projects and business units within the company to support the advancement of strategic initiatives and goals.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Minimum of 15 years of progressive experience currently in a leadership role with profit and loss responsibility with a heavy civil or concrete contractor.
- Bachelor’s degree in and engineering and /or business-related discipline or equivalent market experience.
- Experience in developing and managing long-term strategic plans and executing an organization wide vision.
- Experience in leading operations in the construction industry in a senior role, with focus on construction delivery processes and functions.
- Experience managing a large diversified professional team with accountability for delivering technical advice and outcomes to construction operations.
- Market segment industry association involvement & participation.
- Successful record of maximizing profitability of internal operations.
- A range of leadership and people management courses.
- High potential for leadership and team management skills
- Competent in conflict and crisis management
- High US work ethics
- High level of fairness, honesty and integrity
- High level of creativity, adaptability and empathy
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal communication skills (written and oral) to represent the company during projects of leading construction sites
- Resourcefulness, imagination and a passion for challenges
First Year Mandate:
Participate in company training including visits to company headquarters in Switzerland and travel to select project sites. Anticipated volume of $15-20M.