Our client is a privately held 100-year-old $500M self-perform midwestern commercial and institutional general contractor.
Our client has a history of delivering great customer service and building some of the most prominent commercial and healthcare buildings in the greater Minneapolis area. The company has a collaborative internal culture that has cultivated loyal employees and strong customer relationships.
Safety is critical to their culture. It is their policy to operate in a safe, responsible manner which respects the environment and the health of its employees, customers and the communities where it operates. The Company will not compromise environmental, health or safety values for profit.
Our client conducts all aspects of its business in an honorable way, recognizing there is no right way to do a wrong thing. The Company always acts responsibly and maintains the highest levels of ethical and legal conduct.
President Profile Summary
Our client is seeking a President improve its quality and operating efficiency while mentoring the next generation of leadership. The ideal candidate will have proven experience successfully managing a construction business with P&L responsibility for a $250 million or larger general contracting company or division. The individual will have a strong process orientation and experience with quality systems. The ideal candidate will be willing to embrace the company’s operating philosophy and culture. They will be knowledgeable of the mid-west area building construction market-place and have a solid reputation and strong relationships. The candidate should have an entrepreneurial mindset and willingness to embrace a “roll up the sleeves” mentality to address and resolve business issues and inspire their team to do the same. The President will report to the Chief Executive Officer.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities of the President
Develop and execute a plan to profitably grow the business and improve returns.
Oversee company operations to insure production efficiency, quality, service, and cost-effective management of resources. Implement best practices to enhance processes, increase efficiencies, lower costs, and improve quality.
Develop and achieve sales, profit, and revenue forecasts. Lead development of annual operating plan and expense management activities.
Plan, develop, and implement strategies for entering new markets and capturing business with new customers. Analyze market size, growth, attractiveness, etc. Develop market penetration plans.
Evaluate personnel and ensure a high-performance culture focused on accountability and passion to constantly improve.
Establish safety priorities and continually reinforce a safety-first mindset within the Company.
Ensure the appropriate processes and controls are in place to maintain industry certifications and compliance with quality and safety standards.
– Identify areas to initiate process improvements that drive increased profitability on current base of business; areas of process improvement to be considered include production, quality, estimation, and project management.
– Sustain a focus on serving the customer while improving the bottom line.
– Assess the human capital needs at all levels of the organization and create a plan to drive improvement through training and improved performance management.
– Craft a strategic plan for growth.
– Evaluate and instill a safety-first mindset in alignment with company’s values; improve safety program and culture.
– Hands on, roll up the sleeves mentality with an entrepreneurial mindset.
– A process-oriented leader driven to focus on continuous improvement, measuring performance, and driving accountability in all areas of the business.
– Strong sense of urgency and impatience as it relates to areas requiring improvement.
– Honest and trustworthy with an impeccable record of integrity. Must role model the behaviors that are desired throughout the Company.
– Customer focused and customer comfortable. Passion to meet with customers and absorb and articulate customer needs, challenges and business goals.
– Financially literate with an understanding of the drivers of return on invested capital, profitable growth, and project accounting concepts.
– A person of vision and realistic optimism. Someone who can balance the need to deliver short term results while setting a foundation for long term sustainable growth.
– A lead by example team leader that knows not only how to collaborate and play well with other members of the team, but also is a respected leader of the team. Someone who others will follow.
– Passionate about developing talent within the Company.
Education and Qualifications
– BS or BA degree in a construction related field.
– 15 plus years’ experience with 10+ years of leadership experience.
– Prior experience with P&L responsibility as a GM, VP or President of a stand-alone mid-size construction-related company or divisional leadership role in larger construction organization.
– Experience managing construction quality management systems and safety programs.
– Strong communication skills both written and verbal.
– Strong analytical skills with experience measuring and managing with KPI’s.
– Strong negotiation skills and executive presence with key accounts and management.
– Experience with Lean production principles a plus.
Competitive market-based compensation plan will include base salary, bonus based on generating profitable returns.