President ENR Top 200 Contractor
Summary/Reason for Opening/Company and Opportunity Data Points
Building on a 133-year history of craftsmanship, a strong work ethic, attention to detail and quality, our client has grown into one of the top construction management firms in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast. Beginning in the early 1990’s the Company transitioned from family ownership to the current ownership model. Over the last 30 plus years the current President & CEO, his leadership team and their employees have been instrumental in transitioning the Company from a family-owned GC into one of the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic’s leading GC/CM firms.
The President & CEO is currently transitioning ownership to an ESOP and is looking to transition to a CEO & Chairman role over the next few years. Due to these changes, the Company is looking to bring on a new President with the opportunity to move into the CEO role. The new President will be joining the Company at a very exciting time with record revenue and an established regional market with offices throughout the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic, a diversified client base and the transition to an employee-owned Company.
- ENR Top 200 Northeast/Mid-Atlantic GC/CM with over 300 team members located in, Lancaster PA, Philadelphia PA, Wilmington DE, Parsippany NJ, Baltimore MD, Harrisburg PA, Vienna VA, Hamden CT.
- Merit shop organization.
- A diversified project portfolio that includes Senior Living, Healthcare, Industrial, Education, Manufacturing, Corporate and Cultural and Community related projects.
- A culture of continuous improvement, employee engagement and a “Do the Right Thing” attitude.
- Self-perform Concrete subsidiary and Carpentry division.
- Undergoing a transition to 100% employee ownership.
- Successfully utilizing Entrepreneurial Operating System (EOS).
- Company is profitable and debt free. No turn around or structural issues to repair.
- No family members/drama.
- Due to succession planning over the next several years the new President will have opportunity to choose a few new members of their leadership team.
- Training and development program that has produced a significant group of future leaders.
- Long term client relationships in all geographic and market sectors.
- Strong subcontractor relationships.
- Processes and systems in place to scale and grow the Company.
- Strong leadership teams in home office and largest of division offices.
- Lucrative compensation package including commensurate base salary and short-term bonus, LTIP incentive, supplemental retirement program and perquisites associated with President position.
|Reporting Structure:||Five Regional SVP’s/VP’s, VP of Quality Control, VP of Senior Living and VP of Self Perform Concrete subsidiary.|
|Reporting relationships will evolve as transition to CEO occurs.|
|Location:||Company is headquartered in Lancaster Pennsylvania.|
The preferred candidate will have a 25-plus year track record of achievement in the construction industry. Must have demonstrated P&L leadership for a single or ideally a multi-location business unit with annual revenue exceeding $500M. Undergraduate degree with continued learning and or MBA desired. They will have strong working knowledge and experience with continuous improvement and quality improvement methodology and a history of success in leading cultural and organizational change.
- Someone who is in the prime of their career with the necessary skills to make the jump into the C-Suite.
- Equally attractive is someone with fire in their belly and a good 15 plus year runway.
- Must have a passion for the construction industry.
- An innate sense of curiosity.
- Involvement in industry associations.
- A hands-on, collaborative, and decisive leader that is comfortable driving processes and holds themselves and those around them accountable.
- Demonstrated experience in complex problem solving and creativity.
- Capable leader in balancing qualitive goals while achieving best of class profitability.
- A passion for developing people. Experienced serving as mentor and coach.
- Must be comfortable driving change.
- Someone with vision who understands that operational policy, structure, and repeatability make that vision reality.
- A strong understanding of financial metrics.
- A self-aware leader with a high degree of emotional intelligence. The talent to read people, understand their needs and feelings and act in a way that maximizes their trust and motivation.
- A person of vision and realistic optimism.
- Experience in strengthening emerging geographical markets.
- Strong decision-making capabilities.
- Skilled contract negotiation capabilities.
The First Year
- Observe, listen, and learn.
- Embrace the Company’s core values:
- Accountability – We do what we say.
- Safety – Work Smart. Think Safe.
- Integrity – Do the right thing.
- Collaboration – Stronger together.
- Continuous improvement – Get better every day.
- Development – Invested in people.
- Acclimation and six-month onboarding initiative.
- Begin developing relationships with CEO and current C-Suite including Division Managers.
- Review organization chart and reporting structures.
- Begin succession planning for key roles, including yourself.
- Begin introductions to all outside vendors including, clients, financial and insurance providers, subcontractors, architects, engineering firms.
- Embrace and utilize the EOS process.
- Lead the Operational Excellence Team-Embrace Team #1 approach. (OET is your Team).
- Create a culture of delivering an A-Level construction experience to all clients.